Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Notes from a filmmaker: Monday, February 13, 2006

Notes from a filmmaker: Monday, February 13, 2006
Getting Fucked by SAG in the snow.
Current mood: angry

Wow, so the snow was pretty impressive. My assistant Kelly and I used this as a needed, forced break. We both got all sick worrying about casting.

SAG is trying to bite my balls off, through my ass. I wonder why an organization would stop an actor or actress from working on a production just to ensure that a larger actor gets their pay scale. For every one that makes millions they are thousands of actors trying to survive. If I can offer actors a lead role, for less money than SAG wants me too pay them and in the process ensure a quality picture I should be able to.

I had a SAG rep tell me that what they are asking of me is "a drop in the bucket" for our film and in all honesty it is. But the problem is... the few thousand for the actor's salary will lower the entire look of the film.As it is I am paying my leads more than I get as a director.

I support people looking out for actors who are getting taking advantage of but when an actor wants the opportunity that is present they should be allowed. I felt extorted while I was on the phone. The power they hold is fear.

I can't risk casting someone and later finding out I can't get distribution because of it.
I'd love to hear other people's opinion on this. I figure SAG will have a lot of support rightfully but I know I don't feel this way alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment